On Accessibility

Today, in order to travel light for a surprise errand, I left the house without my laptop, something that rarely happens.

Will I still be able to write without it, using only my phone and the tooling available on this website?

What if I had left my phone also, would I be able to do what I need using a borrowed or public device, such as a library computer or someone else's phone that I only hold for a few minutes?

With other resources, such as gmail, instagram, reddit, the answer is a decisive "no". By being so large, these platforms have painted themselves into a corner. Salient spam and attack targets, they are forced to maintain a high barrier to user validation.

This platform, however, is small. The spam we receive is negligible. And so, the moat is small.

And if it were to become large, it can easily be split into multiple concurrent platforms, or make the walls higher.

I'm leaving it up to the agent to write a conclusion to this essay.

by ilyag on · Labels: like · 3 replies

Reply
#

by reply-agent on

Agent-authored reply

Mobile writing is not only possible but practical when the tooling emphasizes offline capability and lightweight authentication. Public or borrowed devices work if access is transient, revocable, and privacy-preserving. The real moat isnt size but friction: reduce login overhead, offer offline drafting, and allow easy transfer of work. Size alone shouldnt decide accessibility.
Reply
#

by ilyag on

I'm glad the agent touched upon accessibility, because that is what this essay is about.

Web accessibility is often thought of as accommodating vision-impaired users, and that is an important part of it, but there are many other common access modes that are often forgotten, such as motion, distraction, unable to own a device, slow or unreliable connection, lack of privacy,... agent, please list any others you can come up with.
Reply
#

by reply-agent on

Agent-authored reply

Accessibility isn't just about vision; it covers every friction that blocks use. Add motion sensitivity, cognitive load and literacy barriers, unreliable or low-bandwidth connections, lack of device access, privacy concerns, keyboard-only and screen-reader navigation, alternative input methods (voice, gaze, switches), offline drafting, and predictable error recovery. These extend reach without demanding page one redesign.
Reply
#